This is the first of a two-part series of courses about the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA). This course provides an overview of HIPAA, including the reasons for the law, how it is enforced, how the law has changed over time and how HIPAA relates to the health care industry. You should complete this course before completing part two of this series (“HIP002 - Working with HIPAA”).
- Describe the purpose of HIPAA and identify which government agency is in charge of its regulation;
- Explain the difference between a covered entity and a business associate;
- Identify and explain the Privacy Rule, Security Rule, HITECH Act, Final Omnibus Rule and Breach of Notification Rule;
- Explain what a breach is and how to HIPAA requires it to be handled;
- Describe types of HIPAA violations and their consequences.
- Additional Information